Temporary Visitors & Non-Immigrant Visas
Created by FindLaw's team
of legal writers and editors.
Individuals who visit the U.S. for any reason other than relocating here permanently may need to obtain a non-immigrant (temporary) visa. Below, you will find more information on non-immigrant visas like the H1B visa, the exchange visitor visa, and more. Choose a link from the list below to learn more about non-immigrant and temporary work visas.
- Non-Immigrant Visas Overview - An overview of non-immigrant visas, with information on the requirements for non-immigrant visas, changing status, and extending a stay in the U.S.
- Non-Immigrant Visas FAQ - Common questions about the differences between immigrant and non-immigrant visas, work permits, and much more.
- Temporary Visas - A chart listing the types of temporary visas by category, along with descriptions for each type.
- U.S. Embassies and Consulates: Links - Some links to U.S. embassies and consulates around the world.
Temporary Work Visas:
Non-Immigrant Travel and Student Visas:
- Non-Immigrant Student Visas - A brief breakdown of student visas and their requirements, with links to more resources and information.
- Exchange Visitor Visas - An overview of the two nonimmigrant visa categories for persons to participate in exchange visitor programs in the United States.
- Non-Immigrant Visas for Visitors to the U.S. - If you plan on just visiting the United States, this section has more information for vacationers, those seeking medical treatment in the U.S., and more.
- Other Non-Immigrant Visas - A look at the other categories of non-immigrant visas, such as professionals under NAFTA, treaty investors, etc.